Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Father's Day Gift Ideas - 2012

A few comments before I get started. I have noticed that "Comment on Life" has been negative at times and so I will take a more positive approach.

Second - No, I get no kickback for this, I merely want to pass along some ideas that I have enjoyed and might help others out as Father's Day approaches.

So, let me set the stage so to speak. I used to use the standard aerosol shaving cream , like most men. The problem is as it runs low, it gets more and more watery. I have also used the gel shaving aerosol. I find it too slippery and too easy to slide off my hand. Also, you never get any warning that you are about to run out. Where the standard aerosol gets watery, the gel aerosol simply and suddenly quits.

So what is a man to do? I remembered using a shaving brush and shaving soap many years ago and so I began to look at it again only this time I didn't get the cheap drugstore brush. There are two kinds of better brushes - Bagger hair and Boars hair brushes. After some looking around, I decided upon this one.

Deluxe Boar Bristle Shaving Brush with Rosewood Handle & Free Shaving Brush from Parker Safety Razor.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DEXE48/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1

Next I needed so shaving soap. So I started out with Col. Conk Bay Rum Glycerine Shave Soap
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JKSP38/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_2

So the $64,000 question, How did I liked it? Simply put, I have requested more indifferent fragrances for this Father's Day as I am almost out. Why do I like it so over the "traditional aerosol soaps?

1) It feels better. On those occasions that I have had to go back to aerosol when I travel and don't take my shaving soap, I have found that aerosol shaving creams feel sticky and unpleasant.

2) I love getting a hot shaving cream on my face. After soaking the crush in hot water, I have a hot shave. Sometimes I "treat myself" to a second shave by merely tipping the brush back in the hot water and lathering up again. Sort of a skin relaxer?

3) I can tell when I am about out with no side effects - i.e. no sudden loss of cream or going watery.

Why did I go boar's hair instead of bagger hair? Cost mainly but I love the boars hair brush. Do get a stand as you don't want to set it down with the hair upward when you are though.

Other kinds of soap? Plenty of choices out there. Experiment.

While you are out there, get the shaving cup for the soap also. I improvised with an old mug but it is a little too deep so this year I am asking for the shaving bowl. http://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Shave-Soap-Bowl-Natural/dp/B00161BEO8/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

Some may say it is like going back to your grand-gfather's days. Yep. A nice hot relaxing shave. Takes no longer and is always hot. What did I do with the unused aerosol shaving cream cans? They are for when I travel. And they make me appreciate the brush and mug every time I use them.

By the Way - I photography article I read recommend the boar's hair brush for brushing off a DSLR when out in the field. Adorama and B&H Photo even carry one in their photography section.

Adorama - http://www.adorama.com/CPDB.html

B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61515-REG/Visual_Departures_DB1_Dewitt_s_Boar_Bristle_Brush.html

No comments:

Post a Comment